Saturday, April 9, 2011

When I Was Younger...

When I was younger I wanted to be a car mechanic. The idea of being a girl in a man's world really appealed to me and I loved the technicality of it. Getting dirty, being knowledgeable and providing a service that was practical. At the beginning of high school I started to really sew like a crazy person and took many art classes but I would throw in a wood shop, some welding and a general mechanics class and I loved it, I mean really loved it. It made me work hard because these were things I knew nothing about and was never around during my life that far. When I told me parents my plan my dad said "okay, kelsey" not really sure of it because I probably changed my mind quite a lot then and my mother said 'no way'. But not in a 'there is no way you can do that' or 'I will not allow you to do that' but in a "you are destined for greater things" kind of way that always bothered me because it seemed like she doubted me. She said that I was going to New York and that I would study Fashion Design. She was only half right so I only give her half the credit. But when you really get down to it the Fashion Industry is a man's world, it always has been and it always will be just like every other job in the world. But once in a while a woman gets on top and she rides it out until she can no longer open her mouth to say "that is fucking hideous". And a few of those women are the lovely Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel, Elsa Schiaparelli, and Miuccia Prada.

And let's not forget that most of fashion designers did not start out that way, they were architects, doctors, teachers and writers. They just happened to have an idea and just went with it.

Merriweather

No comments:

Post a Comment