Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Gird Your Loins

Have you ever heard the term "gird your loins"?

The term gird your loins was used several hundreds of years ago when men were preparing to battle. They wore long cotton tunics that they needed to tie up so that they would not trip over themselves while fighting. The term has transformed slightly because we are not literally tieing up long tunics but preparing for something dreadful as they were hundreds of years ago.


If you've seen the movie The Devil Wears Prada, this phrase kind of sets the mood for the rest of the film. When the boss of the magazine; who is said to be based off of real life Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, is coming into the "office" people become frantic. The creative director played by Stanely Tucci (one of my favorites), shouts "GIRD YOUR LOINS!" Women throw away carbs they've been eating, they take off ugly shoes and put on high heels, and they make their work space scarce and clean.

Does this happen at your office? Do you have to shape up when your boss comes around? Do you get a warning?

I don't know if I would compare my boss to this character, but we kind of do these things, minus the food. My boss comes to us because she knows we have candy and she wants some too.

But anyways I wore all black today and I did not have black boots to wear. It has just snowed so I wore grey ones and brought my black heels because I knew we were having a meeting with the boss lady. And she totally likes to pick on people and since I went to school for fashion, some people think I should dress nicely, which is true because I do. But some days I just don't feel like it. Have you ever seen a runway show and the designer walks out after the models? Ninety percent of those designers look like shit for several reasons.

Reason one: The designer is running around back stage trying to get everything perfect on the models
Reason two: When would there be to time to find something to wear
Reason three: You are there to look at the models, not the designer.

With all this said I of course am not walking down many runways behind models dressed in my clothing however we do know better than dressing like a slob.


Merriweather

No comments:

Post a Comment